March 2, 2008

Guatemala #5: Sunrise, Sunset - Lago Atitlan

When I first visited Guatemala, I heard that Hemingway said Lake Atitlan was the most beautiful place in the world. Last time I visited, my mum's charge, Andy said it wasn't Hemingway, it was Somerset Maughm. It's a good thing I picked up a guide book: they claim it was Aldous Huxley. I haven't been enough places to agree with any of them but I do remember crossing the lake from Santiago to Panajachel, which are on opposite sides of the lake. The half of the lake towards Santiago was covered by black billowy clouds. The half towards Panajachel was covered by those rich thick foamy white clouds. They met directly over San Pedro, which is in the valley of a volcano, where they crashed, delivering regular bursts of lightning to the little town. I was on the boat with my brother and a friend watching it and we imagined the clouds were shaped like colliding cavalry.

btw, it was Aldous Huxley


Sunrise

Sunset

No comments: