February 27, 2008

Guatemala + Stan = Missing House

I'm off to Guatemala in a few days so I thought I'd do some Guatemala Before and Afters.

In 2005, Hurricane Stan devastated much of Guatemala, Mexico and El Salvador. My grandparents lived in Jucanya which is just outside of the tourist town of Panajachel, Guatemala. This is a before and afters of their awesome house. I was back there last year and crossed the river to their property. When Stan widened the river which ran by the house, it washed away about 40% of the property. The place was stripped, empty and deserted except for the squatter who had set up camp in my old bedroom.

Check out my mom's flickr set of befores and afters.



No need to point out the fact that I'm mourning a villa - I'll post in a bit with some more down to earth B&As.

No comments: